Many generations, one passion
The history of the Józef Piłsudski University of Physical Education in Warsaw dates as far back as to the beginning of the 20th century. Today the University is a modern and an integral part of the Polish and European system of education and is a well-recognized prestigious institution. It educates students and conducts numerous researches. Highly qualified teaching staff comprising of 365 academic teachers ensures the highest level of education. Studies on the AWF Warsaw are a guarantee of achieving the best qualifications necessary in future professional career and give opportunities for personal development and social advancement. Creative, imaginative graduates who are well equipped with interpersonal and communication skills leave the walls of this unique University every year. High level of education is confirmed by high positions of the University in national ranks, which positions have been maintained by the University for many years.
1927 - [15th February] On the first session of the Educational Council led by the Marshal Józef Piłsudski, Colonel Ph.D. Władysław Osmolski proposed to join the National Institute of Physical Education in Warsaw and the Central Military School of Sports and Gymnastics in Poznań and create one university of physical education in Warsaw. Edgar Norwerth was responsible for preparation of the architectural design.
1928 – [2nd December] The Foundation Act of CIWF and a plaque commemorating 10 years of Independent Poland were placed.
1929 – [29th November] The first academic year 1929/30 was officially inaugurated.
1935 – [22nd May] To commemorate Józef Piłsudski the Central Institute of Physical Education [CIWF] was renamed to the Central Institute of Physical Education of the First Marshal of Poland Józef Piłsudski.
1937 – [12th July] On the basis of a decision of the Council of Ministers, the rights of graduates of CIWF were equalized with the rights of graduates of other universities.
1938 – [23rd August] The Central Institute of Physical Education of the First Marshal of Poland Józef Piłsudski was transformed into a military academic school and was named "the University of Physical Education of Józef Piłsudski".
1939 – [28th April] The University was granted the right to award its students with a degree of Master of physical education.
1939-1945 – during the time of WWII the equipment of the faculties, laboratories, book collections and sports equipment were destroyed. German Luftwaffe was stationing at the premises of the University. CIWF-AWF staff and students fought on all the fronts of WWII. Many of them lost their lives to protect the homeland.
1946 – [22nd November] Re-opening the University by the decision of the Minister of National Defence.
1946 – [9th December] Official inauguration of the first post-war year of 1946/47.
1949 – [27 July] The Józef Piłsudski University of Physical Education in Warsaw was turned into a civil public academic institution and was named: the University of Physical Education of Lieutenant General Karol Świerczewski.
1949 – [24th November] AZS-AWF Sports Club, one of the best sports clubs in Poland, has been established.
1953 – [1st October] AWF – as the first university of physical education in Poland – introduced 4-year full time study cycle finishing with a Master degree and training specializations.
1959 – [30th November] the University was the first institution in Poland that has been entitled to award students with a degree of Ph.D. of Physical Education.
1966 – [11th July] The University was the first institution in Poland that has been entitled to conduct habilitation procedure on Physical Education Sciences.
1970 – [6th July] AWF Warsaw External Faculty in Biała Podlaska has been established.
1984 – [24th July] Faculty of Movement Rehabilitation has been established.
1990 – [8th June] The Sejm of the Republic of Poland re-established the name of the University of 1938: "the Józef Piłsudski University of Physical Education in Warsaw".
1993 – [27th September] The Faculty of Movement Rehabilitation of AWF has been granted the right to award students with a Ph.D. degree in the area of Physical Culture Sciences in the field of movement rehabilitation.
2001 – [24th May] A part of AWF facilities has been entered into the register of monuments as cultural heritage.
2001 – [19th September] 29th November has been set to be the day of the University Festival
2009 – [1st December] – the ceremony of naming the Main Library after Jędrzej Śniadecki
2010 – [26th October] Faculty of Tourism and Recreation has been established.
2013 – [19th May] – reactivation of a patriotic-marching event "University-Warsaw-Sulejówek" that was opened by the President of Poland Bronisław Komorowski
2014 – the beginning of celebration of 85th anniversary of the University under the slogan "Many generations, one passion" (1929-2014).